Sunday, January 15, 2023

2022 books - with commentary!

  2022 Books


Krampus by Brom (it was fine. I like the take on Norse myth but it's not really based in any true historicity. But it was a fun, weird reard)

Neuromancer by William Gibson (I've read this one a few times.  It never makes any sense to me.  I'm never gonna read it ever again.  The first third is pretty amazing, and then I lose the plot)

Heretics of Dune by FrankHerbert ("there was an adult beefswelling in his loins")

The Worry Trick by David Carbonell (just like any other basic CBT self-help book)

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (I don't know how many times I've read this one.  It landed differently this time.  VERY post 9/11.  Brought back a ton of memories)

The Walking Dead:  (not my fave comic series but I'll finish it eventually)
Something to Fear #17
What Comes After #18
March to War #19
All Out War part one #20
All Out War part two #21
A New Beginning #22
Whispers into Screams #23
Life and Death #24

Dune - House Atreides volume one by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson (I'm glad I didn't re-read the novels before picking up the graphic novels.  The graphic novels are basically scene-by-scene of the novels.)

Cats of the Louvre by Taiyo Matsumoto (lovely, charming, heart-breaking, beautiful.)

Ingredients by Geroge Zaidan (This wasn't exactly what I thought it would be about, and it's been too long I can't tell you anything about it, but it was interesting.  Not gastro-history, but lots of science)

Ariadne by Jennifer Saint (mixed feelings about this one... read Circe instead)

The Immortality Key by Brian Muraresku (THIS IS MY RELIGION.  but for serious, if you're ever like "I want to understand Amanda's spirituality more" then this is THE book to read.)

The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (a re-read, it's fun.  I like this franchise.  Hellraiser: Judgement has a gorgeous opening sequence) 

Detox Your Thoughts by Andrea Bonior (a decent CBT/self-help book. I liked this one)

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde (fun and weird fiction, I hope he releases a sequel) 

Clive Barker's Hellraiser (graphic novel, really great short vignettes)

The Art of Community: seven principles of belonging by Charles Vogl (some to love, some to ignore. not bad and kinda useful)

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury (a fave, always a fave)

The Sandman - Preludes and Nocturnes
The Sandman - The Doll's House
The Sandman - Dream Country
The Sandman - Season of MIsts
The Sandman - A Game of You
(a fave, always as fave)

Audition by Ryu Murakami (pretty good, not as lingering as the film, which is surprisingly hard to find these days.)

How to Pronounce Knife by Souvankham Thammavongsa (READ THIS BOOK. lovely short stories.  WOW.  maybe one of the best things I read this year)

From Here to Eternity by Caitlin Doughty (another good one, but if you watch her YouTube channel, Ask a Mortician, it's a lot of the same)

Rooted by Lynda Lynn Haupt (it was fine, not bad. I think I'm the wrong audience)

Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury (lovely, sweet little book)

Brand New Cherry Flavor by Todd Grimson (good, fun, weird, very, VERY 90s.  The netflix show is good, too.  these are too different that you can't compare)

The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis (LOVED this film in college, book is very 90s, I'm waiting to re-watch the film because I think I have to emotionally fortify myself)

Coraline - the graphic novel (properly spoopy)

Dune: House Atreides volume 2 by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson (it's fine)

The Art of Community by Charles Vogl (a re-read, audiobook and physical copy)

The Midnight Club by Christopher Pike (A FAVE.  I had a fun sleepover for this one)

Pandemic! and Pandemic 2! by Slavoj Zizek (a lot of this isn't really timely for 2023, or even 2022, but it was weird/interesting/unnerving to travel back to 2020... such a time of uncertainty and trauma.  My first time reading Zizek)

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (pretty good, I like the character of older Danny. I liked this ending.  Movie is fun, too, though different from the book.  I love the depiction of Rose the Hat in the film, and also, the homage to Kubrick.)

Steal the Stars by Mac Rogers (a novelization of the podcast, I honestly can't tell the difference from one to the other.  Both are amazing but exactly the same?)

No comments:

Post a Comment