Sunday, January 12, 2020

2019 Books




Pontypool Changes Everything by Tony Burgess
I read this one after watching the movie on Netflix.  The movie is only loosely like the book, and really is more like one kinda-scene in the book. It’s very… weird.  Anything I’ve read by Burgess is weird.  This is the 2nd in a three-part series, and in 2018 I read The Hellmouths of Bewdley which was very… disturbing. I hope to read Caesarea to finish up the series this year.

If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
I had forgotten I read this one.  It was fine. I like Calvino a lot sometimes, and others not so much.  One thing is for sure, is that his writing is very ambitious.

Hiddensee by Gregory Maguire
I kinda like Maguire and I really like the Nutcracker.  This was a charming and curious book and the German was just easy enough for me to read easily.

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
I read this when I was in college (probably 2003) and re-read it when I saw that Netflix had a mini-series.  I like Atwood, and I enjoyed this as much as I did in my youth.  The series is decent, too. 

The Mabinogian translated by Charlotte Guest
Great stories and should be required reading for Pagans who are interested in Celtic, Welsh, or British Paganism.  Read your source materials, folks!

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King
I’ve been in the middle of this series for so long it’s hard for me to keep track of them.  I first started reading The Dark Tower in college (2002) and re-started the series again a few years ago.  I think I’ll finally finish up in 2020, and then move onto another epic series (Herbert’s Dune.)  I liked this story a lot, actually.

Annihilation: Southern Reach #1 by Jeff Vandermeer
I really enjoyed this movie, and I liked the series pretty okay, too.  It’s pretty good and kinda ambitious.  The movie does a decent interpretation.

Thoughts Without a Thinker by Mark Epstein MD
I was REALLY into using mindfulness with my clients in early 2019, and I’ve moved away from that a bit as I’ve been doing a lot of training in Play Therapy.  This is a good introductory book but the problem I often find with some of these books is that a lot of the comments/exercises/explanations tend to not take the Person In Environment approach, or the multi-dimensional approach (both major in my social work training.)  Stuff like this can really come from a place of ignorance and privilege, and can be hard for me to stomach sometimes.

Evolutionary Witchcraft by T. Thorn Coyle
A lot of us read this many years ago as part of the Triangle Pagan Book Club, which was later called the Triangle Pagan Discussion Group, until we finally agreed to dissolve that group.  I LOVED this book when I read it the first time, and this time I still appreciated it.  I really had wanted to dive through and go through the exercises, but I found that it was hard for me to find the time, or energy, or interest.  I might have over-booked/over-extended myself, or maybe some of the content wasn’t right for me, or I wasn’t ready for it.  Either way, I appreciate it and recommend it as an “advanced” Pagan read. 

Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change by Timothy D. Wilson
Upon looking back on the year, I have no recollection of reading this book so I guess it didn’t really make an impression.   But going back and re-reading some reviews, I actually recall really liking this book.  Consider this – all of those things you think work, actually don’t.  (such as Scared Straight programs for juvenile offenders.)  Reminded me of the book You Are Not So Smart, which every Pagan should read.

Authority: Southern Reach #2 by Jeff Vandermeer
Book two of the Southern Reach series, and I might have liked this one more than the first one.

“Diane…”: The Twin Peaks Tapes of Agent Cooper by Lynch/Frost
Sweet and fun and a quick peek into Special Agent Dale Cooper’s relationship with Diane (pre-season three) and his life pre-Twin Peaks.

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch
aaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Acceptance: Southern Reach #3 by Jeff Vandermeer
A great conclusion to books one and two.

Fire & Fury: Inside the Trump Whitehouse by Michael Wolf
Gosh, it took a whole year for Steve and I to read this book.  Real life is no fun sometimes.  Reading this book in 2019 was like a trip down memory lane – “hey, I forgot that guy existed!”

The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog by Bruce Perry
I had this on my to-read list for a while, and since I knew one of my interns was reading it, I finally picked it up.  Ugh.  Fascinating read, but oh-so hard.  This is why I don’t do trauma work.  But, a must-read for anyone who wants to understand at least a tiny bit of the nuances and complexities of PTSD in children.

The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell
A re-read of a favorite, and a life-changer.  I feel like there are a few moments in our lives when we can look back and say “I was forever changed!” and my first time watching this series with Campbell and Bill Moyers was back in 2007 when I was newly married, newly graduated, newly initiated, and still in so many ways a Baby Pagan.  This really was my first step into mysticism, Gnosticism, and reconciliation with my childhood experiences of Toxic Christianity.

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
I’ve read the source-materials of these myths so many times over the years, first in 2004 when I took a Northern Myths and Legends class with my favorite professor.  Gaiman has been my fave since high school (probably 1999ish), and I adore how he re-tells these stories, so true to the source materials.  Rather than recommending the Eddas to beginners, I’d recommend Gaiman’s re-telling, and then the source materials after.

The Poetic Edda by Jackson Crawford
I’ve read the Poetic Edda a number of times over the years (in addition to the Prose Edda.)  I have zero recollection of reading this book.  None what-so-ever.  But I can tell you that Steve and Jackson went to graduate school together and that I’ve gotten drunk with him with cheap table wine a more than one department parties at Texas Tech.  (Not that he’d have any clue who I am now.  That’s ancient, ancient history.  And lots of wine.)

The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart
I talked about this book a lot this past year, but I just loved it so much and was so impressed with it. I read Stewart’s first book, Wicked Plants, a while back.  That one was about poisonous plants, and was fun bit kinda monotonous.  As she explains in her forward to The Drunken Botanist, she went to a liquor store to buy libations for her book release party, and realized she had the topic of her second book.  This book is about booze and the stuff that makes booze – all plants!  She talks about plants, herbs, flowers, spices, roots, brewing and distilling, recipes, and history.  I kinda love gastro-history books (like Salt which I read in 2015) and this one was great.  If you like plants and drinking, this is a must-read.

Tank Girl: World War Tank Girl by Alan Martin
I liked the Tank Girl movie a lot in high school, when I liked stuff like that – flashy women, post-apocalypse, cheese.  The movie adaptation of this comic series was filmed in my hometown of Alamogordo, New Mexico.  And my high school government teacher (who taught history to many of my friends) played one of the armored goons during one of the end scenes.  That said, this book was fun and wild and a little more absurd than I typically enjoy but I was glad to read it.

S! #9: Female Secrets by Ryan Sands
A random little gift from a friend, this reads more like a collection of zines and I don’t know anything about it.  The art was mostly interesting, and some of the stories cute.  Reading stuff like this makes me feel like a bad feminist, but I think that’s only because I imagine that feminists create art like this.  (but I don’t actually know for sure.)

The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah by Stephen King
Only one chunk of thousands of pages, as I finally approach the beginning of the end.

Hungry Ghosts by Anthony Bourdain
I loved Anthony Bourdain.  I watched his show (and other food/travel shows) when I was stuck at home after breaking my foot in 2016.  I like his Jiro books okay, but this one was great.  Food and ghost stories – two of my favorite things.

Prince Leo: Raven the Pirate Princess #5 by Whitley Higgins Brandt
Whereas S! was interesting, this comic tries way too hard and I wish I had never read it.  I can’t even appreciate what they attempt (inclusivity and representation!) because it’s so forced.  Forcing representation doesn’t work – no one wants to be a “token.”  If you want something that includes women, LGBTQ characters, reversal of gender roles, strong women and queer folks, discussions on ableism and classism, then watch the Netflix She-Ra series, which is great.

The One Hundred Nights of Hero by Isabel Greenberg
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE.  The second in a series.  This is a random book that Steve found for me from an indie bookstore in downtown Durham. It was so incredibly beautiful.  The second in a series, and I ended up ordering the first and can’t wait to read it this year.

Star Wars Adventures: A Terrifying Tale of Han & Chewie by Scott Charm
I think this is a comic from one of those Free Comics event.  It was fine.  Han and Chewie are cool.

Star Wars: Darth Vader by Gillen Larroca Delgado
This is one small edition of a larger run, and I recently picked up the trade paperback of this series because I liked it a lot.  Make fun of the prequels all you want, but the story of Anakin Skywalker still makes me cry.

Artemis by Anthony Weir
Not as good as The Martian but still fun.

Star Wars: Jedi – Yoda by ???
Well this one made me cry and was very memorable.  The Clone Wars were really a huge tragedy and it breaks my heart when I think about it.

The Umbrella Academy #1: Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way   
I LOVED The Umbrella Academy Netflix series, but I did not like this comic.  I think I should have waited longer before reading it, giving more time between the comic and the show.  Or read the book first.

The Summer of Love by Debbie Drechsler
I started reading comics in 2019 so I could get rid of ones I didn’t like and organize the ones I wanted to keep.  However, in the past six months or so, I’ve been gifted or bought a few here or there.  Random bookstore find.  It was weird, and cute, and relatable, and weird.  I liked this?

Star Wars: Dark Times #1 by ???
Star Wars: Dark Times #2 by ???
Star Wars: Dark Times #3 by ???
SO SAD.

Star Wars: The Return of Tag and Bink by ???
Star Wars: The Return of Tag and Bink – Revenge of the Clone Menace by ???
I loved these characters and I loved the Easter Eggs and I love that they are kinda semi in cannon with the new films, too.

Watchmen by Allan Moore
Like many, I read this in 2009 when the film came out.  I liked the comic and the movie, but I haven’t re-watched the movie yet but I hope I remember to soon.  There’s a lot about this work that I appreciate, and a lot that I’m left to wonder “is this Alan Moore being weird or is this Alan Moore making a point?”  The biggest thing to remember about Watchmen is that Rorschach is not a hero and if anyone says that they “love him and want to be like him” then you know that they’re someone who you should avoid.

Star Wars: The Devaronian Version by ???
Star Wars: Twilight by ???
Random comics in a middle of a series?  A lot of these Star Wars comics were given to me by a former friend (WHO IS NOW AN ENEMY), who I met through a Star Wars chatroom when The Phantom Menace came out (1999.)  Also, a lot of these Clone War stories overlap and the numbering system is very unreliable.

Malika Warrior Queen Part One by Raye Okupe
I don’t remember where I got this but I really liked it.  The marketing was a bit confusing to me, regarding how this and other stories overlapped.  But Malika is badass and I have another in the series, I liked it so much.

Star Wars: Empire #26 by ???
Star Wars: Empire #36 – Wrong Side of the War by ???
THIS IS SO SAD.

Cowboys and Aliens by Fred Van Lente
This story is… not good.  The movie with Harisson Ford was fun when it came out in 2011 but this comic is weak at best and cringey at worst.  (Weird colonial and gender stuff.  Like, they’re trying to make a point by using the point to prove the point?)

Meditations Made Simple by Marcus Aurelius and Shane Stott
This summer I decided to organize a three-part Meditations study group, June/July/August.  The study group was a lot of fun, Marcus Aurelius was not because he’s a stoic and he doesn’t believe in fun.  Also, the “Made Simple” version should be avoided and I wish I hadn’t picked it up.  Stott tries to simplify English translations of the original text, so it’s a simplification of the translation and he is not a linguist and he misses A LOT.

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
I’ve read this book a number of times over the years.  I’ve read too many times for someone who doesn’t enjoy Pratchett.  But I wanted to re-read it before watching the series, which I haven’t done yet but hope to get to in 2020.

Mediations by Marcus Aurelius
It’s fine.

Star Trek: Early Voyages #7 by ???
This was weird and terrible and don’t read it.  It was hard for me to recognize the female characters because they were all drawn the same.

Star Trek: The Next Generation #21 by ???
Just watch the show.

Star Trek/Doctor Who – Assimilation 2 volume 1 by ???
Star Trek/Doctor Who – Assimilation 2 volume 2 by ???
These were gifts from friends a few years back, and somehow ended up in storage with some other books and found last summer when we organized our books.  I love Star Trek, and when I was given these I LOVED Doctor Who.  But I never cared much for Matt Smith, and I hate Amy Pond.  So, I didn’t enjoy this series a lot.  Well, it gave me a lot to think about regarding the Borg and the Cybermen (neither of which are my favorite bad guys.)  The artwork in these was LAZY as HELL.

Imagine Wanting Only This by Kristen Radthke
Love love love love love.  I’ve been thinking a lot about what makes a piece of artwork iconic to a generation, and what would be iconic for me, a Millennial?  I don’t think this comic is iconic, but it is a good piece of millennial work. 

Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
MEH.  Do not like. 

Viking: the Long Cold Fire by Ivan Brandan and Nic Klein
Well, the artwork for this was great, and really gorgeous.  But the story was weak and it looks like there were never any more released in a series.  It’s not really about Vikings insomuch that some of the characters go a’Viking off scene.

Star Wars Republic #??? by ???
Star Wars Republic #46 by ???
Star Wars Republic #73 by ???
Star Wars Republic #77 by ???
Star Wars Republic #78 by ???
Star Wars Republic #79 by ???
Star Wars Republic #80 by ???
It was fine.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
I picked this up in 2001 at a thrift store, and I remember that it was $1 and also a catholic thrift store.  I liked it at the time, got rid of it, and then wanted to re-read it before Steve and I went to Savannah this past fall.  Savannah was great, this book was fun and I’m glad I read it before the trip, but the movie was underwhelming.  It was very 90s to me, in regards to production quality and method of storytelling.

The Walking Dead #1: Days Gone Bye by Kirkman and Moore
I like this series enough that I keep on watching it, though I’ve never been an avid fan.  A friend gave me his old comics and I picked them up this fall.  They are not my fave, but there are moments I appreciated.  But in general, I hate the narrative that society will revert back to “White Man Savior” at the moment of trouble.  Yawn.

Knights of the Old Republic #1 by ???
Knights of the Old Republic #2 by ???
Knights of the Old Republic #3 by ???
Knights of the Old Republic #4 by ???
Knights of the Old Republic #6 by ???
Knights of the Old Republic #7 by ???
Knights of the Old Republic #8 by ???
It was fine.

It by Stephen King
It was fine.

The Walking Dead #2: Miles Behind Us by Kirkman, Adlard, and Rathburn
I don’t really have anything to add here, only that I have some omnibus editions that another friend let me borrow so I’ll be reading more The Walking Dead in 2020.

Squee! #1 by Jhonen Vasquez
Squee! #2 by Jhonen Vasquez
I don’t know where I got these.  I never read Squee in high school, though I was familiar with this series.  I did not like this.  I’m old now.  I understand that many of my peers loved this series (and Lenore) when they were younger.  I no longer like Lenore, and I don’t understand the appeal of either series because too much time has passed between 2019 Amanda and 2000 Amanda.

AutPlay Therapy for Children and Adolescents by Robert Jason Grant
New Job paid for me to take a bunch of trainings, so now I’m the office “Autism Expert”.

Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia Axline
I’m studying Play Therapy and will be certified in this modality, maybe this year but probably next.  This book is a case study and it’s good and was inspiring as I transitioned out of community-based work and into office-based work.

Lenore: Noogies #1 by Roman Dirge
Here’s what I have to say about Lenore: “Normal People Scare Me” is “Live Laugh Love” for people who like black.

The Walking Dead #3: Safely Behind Bars by Kirkman, Adlard, and Rathburn
The Walking Dead #4: The Heart’s Desire by Kirkman, Adlard, and Rathburn
Nothing to add!

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty
When it comes to my personal religious practices, I often have a “thing” I’m working on (witchcraft, runes, herbs, Celtic myth, etc.)  Right now I’m doing a lot of life/death/underworld/spooky stuff, and this book was great.  I’ve followed Doughty for a few years via her Order of the Good Death project, which is a critical re-evaluation with our current relationship with the Death Industry, as well as an exploration of practices and lore related to death and dying.  This book was great.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Last year I read The Haunted of Hill House after Netflix released their mini-series.  Everyone told me that We Have Always Lived in the Castle was the better of the two novels.  I wouldn’t say it was better, just different.  I liked them both, and so far, Jackson write about anxiety in the most relatable way out of any way I’ve ever read it.

Stiff: the Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
More spooky stuff, and in 2020 I’ll read her book on ghosts and the afterlife.

Hell House by Richard Matheson
I really enjoy Matheson, and I’ve seen this movie a few times at the Carolina Theater.  The book was good and tense and weird. 

American Psycho by Brett Easten Ellis
I didn’t especially enjoy this book, and though I’m usually not delicate or squeamish, there was a point when I wondered if I should stop reading.  In college I loved the movie The Rules of Attraction, and I hope to read it in 2020.  I wonder how I’d relate to it now that I’m an adult, and no longer the age of the characters?  But, similar to Watchmen, biggest thing to remember about American Psycho is that Patrick Batement is not a good guy and if anyone says that they “love him and think he’s so sexy” then you know that they’re someone who you should avoid.

Trick R Treat: Days of the Dead by Michael Dougherty
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE.  I adore the film and have made it a tradition to watch it every October.  Dougherty’s history is a bit… off.  But the thing with myth and stories is that these archetypes exist beyond fact/fiction and just exist.  And this is exactly what Days of the Dead is about – the archetypes of Halloween and how these energies, one way or another, will never die.

Herbal Rituals by Judith Berger
One of my mentors when I was a Baby Pagan taught monthly workshops from this book back in 2006, and her style has greatly inspired me for my work workshops.  I spent 2018 and 2019 re-working through this book with Gaia’s Circle.  My intention was for folks to get a working knowledge of herbs, magic, and medicine.  It was a great experience. 

The Walking Dead #5: The Best Defense by Kirkman, Adlard, and Rathburn
The Walking Dead #6: This Sorrowful Life by Kirkman, Adlard, and Rathburn
The Walking Dead #7: The Calm Before by Kirkman, Adlard, and Rathburn
See above.

From Hell by Allan Moore and Eddie Campbell
I LOVED the Johnny Depp film in high school and would watch it often (2001).  This was given to me as a gift, and High School Amanda read it but didn’t quite understand all of the historic or cultural references.  This time around, I spent careful time with the text and with the excellent annotations provided at the end.  Such a masterful piece of artwork, and such excellent attention to detail.

30 Days of Night by Niles and Templesmith
Again, a gift given to me in high school.  I liked it okay, and have re-read it a few times over the years.  I think this re-read has been my favorite so far.  I think reading 30 Days of Night, after reading comics for nearly six months, finally made me realize that I was beginning to change my relationships with comics as a medium.  I found that the aspects that didn’t catch me prior really were what grabbed my attention this time around.  I greatly appreciated the art, the timing, the expression, the narrative, the attention to detail, and the omission of details.  I found out that there are quite a few books in this series and I’m undecided whether or not I need to try and order them for myself.

The Umbrella Academy #2: Dallas by Way and Ba
Much to my surprise, I loved this.  Gerard Way’s forward in the beginning of this piece was really helpful.  He talks about how the first in the series (Apocalypse Suite) introduces the characters but doesn’t really get into anything.  He said that in Dallas, the Umbrella Academy really begins to become real, and I really agree with him.  I cried about Klaus, as one does.

Stolen by Lumby and Mummery
I think this was a Free Comic Book find from 18434328 years ago.  Meh.

Vertigo Crimes: Special Edition (Filthy Rich, Dark Entries, 100 Bullets) by ???
Meh.  Another Free Comic Book find.

The Astounding Wolfman by Kirkman, Howard
A Free Comic Book. It was fine.

Occupants 285 by Russ Emanuel

I watched the movie Occupants at the Nevermore film festival at the Carolina Theater as part of their Retro film series in 2017.  At the time I was a nut for found-footage films, and I had fun with this one.  Case 285 is a little side-comic/story arc by Russ Emanuel that is loosely related to the film, especially via Robert Picardo’s character (Star Trek Voyager), who is the head of a institute that specializes in strange phenomena, such as time travel, alternative realities, and parallel universes. I never did dive deep into the lore of the film or the Peterson Research Institute online material, and I wonder what those who were involved in this project are up to now?  Also, the one female character of this series is drawn ridiculously.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
I don’t enjoy Christmas but I love this story.  I decided to spend some time with this classic this year, in an attempt to understand the Christmas Spirit and maybe even experience a bit.  I listened to this audiobook, read by Tim Curry, which was an amazing performance.  I also watched two Christmas Carol movies and I can say that while I still don’t understand the Christmas Spirit from a heart place (but I have it in a brain place, don’t worry) I had a very merry Christmas in 2019.

At the Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft
I felt like this was more like reading a Lovecraft Wikipedia entry rather than presenting an actual narrative.

Star Wars: Rebellion #0 by ???
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #0 by ???
These were fine.

Star Wars: Legacy #2
Star Wars: Legacy #9
Star Wars: Legacy #10
Star Wars: Legacy #11
Star Wars: Legacy #12
Star Wars: Legacy #16
Star Wars: Legacy #17
Star Wars: Legacy #18
Star Wars: Legacy #22
Star Wars: Legacy #29
Star Wars: Legacy #32
These were TERRIBLE.  For all of those folks who have complained about Episodes 7/8/9, just be thankful that you didn’t get THIS.

Star Wars: Obsession #3 by ???
Star Wars: Obsession #4 by ???
Star Wars: Obsession #5 by ???
A Clone Wars story, and it was actually a little sad and bewildering and also a good example of the decent of Anakin Skywalker.  His dive into the Dark Side didn’t come out of nowhere and he was a terrible Jedi and the Clone Wars were devastating.

No comments:

Post a Comment